How to respond to criticism of your work.
Hey Shawna! Really enjoy the high production value and thought that goes into your videos. I also work in a creative field and I have always struggled with taking criticism. It always makes me really emotional and dead creatively. Do you have any tips on not taking criticism so personally?
Thank you! Re: criticism -
1. Consider the source. Does this person have any background in video? Do the things they say come from a place of knowledge or a place of opinion? What are they getting out of critiquing you? Should their opinion be remembered or discarded?
2. Consider your motive. Why did you make this project? Did it achieve what you wanted it to? If it did, then the points people bring to you saying aspects of it were “wrong” can often be rendered moot. If it didn’t, then what anyone says is more or less the least of your worries. You’re already your own worst critic.
3. Be prepared. Pour everything you have into what you make. Make it the best you can and then let it go. Decide how you feel about it before releasing it. Distance yourself and then take in what everyone says with a level head, knowing it’s yours and it is the way it is.
4. Strive for improvement. No one is perfect. Everyone needs to grow. There is no one way to do film. Always be ready to improve and take every comment on your art as a potential means to do so. 9/10 times peoples’ “critiques” are opinion based, but it’s good to know your audience and to be sensitive to what they’d like to see. It’s your art. Make it the best you can.
5. Calm down. Just make stuff. Making stuff is fun.
(from my ask.fm)
social justice bloggers are so fucking annoying. it’s cool that you want to bring awareness to something, but somehow one person’s attempt to help said cause is never enough. words and intentions are twisted around and something is always criticized in some way. there is always an issue.
i hope tumblr doesn’t hang on to every single word these bloggers have to say just because someone of higher social status reblogs a post. learn to think for yourselves.
will plan b work faster if you snort it?